|Name||The Pride Lands|
- Mufasa: "Look, Simba, everything the light touches is our kingdom."
Mufasa: "A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Simba, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king."
Simba: "And this will all be mine?"
Simba: "Everything the light touches."
- —Mufasa and Simba survey the Pride Lands from Pride Rock
The Pride Lands are a vast African Savannah territory controlled by a pride of lions known as the Pridelanders.
- "If this is where the monarchy is headed, count me out! Out of service, out of Africa, I wouldn't hang about!"
- —Zazu in "I Just Can't Wait to be King"
- "Haven't you met my son? Kovu? He was hand-chosen by Scar to follow in his paw-prints and become King!"
- —Zira to Simba
- "Father... I am lost. Kovu is one of them; Scar's heir. How can I accept him?"
- —Simba to Mufasa about Kovu
The Pride Lands operates in a Monarchy in which the sovereign's will is law. Regarding the order of succession, the Pride Lands monarchy appears to favor an absolute primogeniture, in which the eldest child of the current ruler will inherit regardless of gender. The king or queen can hand choose who they want to succeed them, however, as Scar apparently hand chose Kovu to succeed him, despite them having no relation.
Known Laws of the Land
The Monarchs of the Land have absolute power and with that power they create laws to benefit themselves or their people.
- "You know the law! Never, ever mention that name in my presence! I am the King!"
- —Scar to Zazu
|Put In Place By||Scar|
At an unknown time during his reign, Scar made it illegal to utter Mufasa's name in his presence. It isn't exactly clear why he made this law, but he presumably grew tired of his pride comparing him to his much superior brother. Fortunately, this law permanently died with Scar's reign, for Mufasa's name is said freely during Simba's reign.
Penalty for Trespassing
- Simba: "You know the penalty for returning to the Pride Lands!"
Zira: "But the child does not! However...if you need your pound of flesh, here."
- —Simba to Zira about Kovu
|Put In Place By||Simba|
After banishing Zira and her followers from the Pride Lands, Simba puts in place a law that discourages them from defying his decree and returning anyway. Should any outsider be found within his lands, they must pay with their lives. Kovu is offered up to Simba for recompense, as Zira had broken the law, but both she and the king knew Kovu was in no real danger. In the end, Simba spares Kovu -- either because he was too soft or because his young daughter was watching -- thus fails in enforcing his own law. This law is rendered dysfunction when Simba inducts the exiles back into his pride.
Royal Protocol and Debts
- Zazu: "Mmm, yes, sire. Clearly we are in his debt, and royal protocol demands that all debts be paid. Though in this case you might want to make an exception."
Simba: "Hmmm... (looks at Kovu) My father's law will prevail. We'll see who you really are."
- —Zazu and Simba
|Put In Place By||Mufasa|
According to Zazu, the Majorodomo, all debts must be repaid (though exception can be made) somehow. Simba goes on to say that this is law put in place by his deceased father.
- "Oh young master, one day you will be king. Then you can chase those slobbering, mangy, stupid poachers from dawn until dusk."
- —Zazu to young Simba
- "You were going to kill for sport. That is not permitted in the Pride Lands! Now go!"
- — Ahadi defends Rafiki
|Put In Place By||Unknown|
It is unknown who put this law into to place, but both Ahadi and Mufasa are both seen enforcing it. Likely, Zira was poaching in the Pride Lands as well when she just happened to spot Kovu and Kiara, even going on to mention the lack of resources in the Outlands, so Simba enforces it as well. Presumably the law has been enforced since the territory's creation.
Mohatu's Drinking Law
- "Great-grandfather, being the wise king he was, made a law about how much animal could drink"
- —The Brightest Star, page 3
|Put In Place By||Mohatu|
When a drought strikes the Pride Lands during King Mohatu's reign, he puts in place a law the determines how much an animal could drink to prevent fighting over the diminished waterhole. The Selfish Lion defies Mohatu, and breaks this law, drinking as much as he wants and forcing the other people to wait. Instead of enforcing the law, King Mohatu looks for and finds a non-violent alternative.
Banishment of Shenzi's Clan
- "Sire! Hyenas! In the Pride Lands!"
- —Zazu to Mufasa
|Put In Place By||Ahadi or Mufasa|
In the book A Tale of Two Brothers, during King Ahadi's reign, the hyenas seem to be tolerated if not fully accepted. However, Ahadi seems to have banished them from the Pride Lands after the end of that story. Mufasa could've gotten rid of them, however.
Induction of Shenzi's Clan
- "But out of the ashes of this tragedy, we shall rise, to greet the dawning of a new Era in which lion and hyena come together in a great and glorious future!"
- —Scar, as he assumes the throne
|Put In Place By||Scar|
After Mufasa's death, Scar renders the law keeping hyenas out of the Pride Lands defunct when he usurps the throne.
- "Look, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom."
- —Mufasa to Simba
- Red-billed Hornbill
- Field Mice
- The Pride Lands has a history of going bare presumably once during the reign of every new ruler. A drought happens during Mohatu's reign, Uru and Ahadi's reign, Mufasa's reign (in a comic), and Scar's reign.