|The Lion King (2019 film)|
James Earl Jones
- Donald Glover as Simba
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa
- Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
- Billy Eichner as Timon
- John Oliver as Zazu
- Alfre Woodard as Sarabi
- John Kani as Rafiki
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
On September 28, 2016, the Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau announced they were developing a CGI remake of The Lion King on the fast-track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April 2016 and has earned $965.8 million worldwide. On October 13, 2016, Jeff Nathanson was hired to write the screenplay.
Production for the film began in May 2017.
In February 2017, Donald Glover was cast as Simba, with James Earl Jones reprising his role as Mufasa from the original film. In March 2017, it was announced that Beyoncé was Favreau's top choice for the role of Nala and that the director and studio would be willing to do whatever it took to accommodate her busy schedule.
In April 2017, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen were cast to play Timon and Pumbaa respectively. In July 2017, John Oliver was cast as Zazu. In August 2017, Chiwetel Ejiofor was announced to be in talks to voice Scar. That same month, Alfre Woodard, and John Kani were announced to play Sarabi and Rafiki respectively.
- ↑ Disney Dates ‘Lion King’ and ‘Frozen 2,’ Pushes Fifth ‘Indiana Jones’ Film to 2020. Variety (April 25, 2017). Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Couch, Aaron (February 17, 2017). 'Lion King' Remake Casts Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasa. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Galuppo, Mia (April 25, 2017). Seth Rogen, Billy Eichner in Talks to Voice Timon and Pumbaa in New 'Lion King'. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Galuppo, Mia (July 10, 2017). John Oliver to Voice Zazu in Disney's 'Lion King' Remake. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on July 10, 2017.
- ↑ Galuppo, Mia (August 7, 2017). Alfre Woodard Joins Disney's 'The Lion King'. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Gettel, Oliver (August 7, 2017). The Lion King casts its Sarabi and Rafiki. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ Schmizt, Greg Dean (August 4, 2017). CHIWETEL EJIOFOR WILL VOICE SCAR IN LIVE-ACTION LION KING, AND MORE MOVIE NEWS. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved on August 15, 2017.
- ↑ Lang, Brent (September 28, 2016). Jon Favreau to Direct ‘Lion King’ Live-Action Remake. Variety. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Han, Angie (October 13, 2016). Jon Favreau’s ‘Lion King’ Remake Picks Up ‘Catch Me If You Can’ Screenwriter Jeff Nathanson. Slashfilm. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Lammers, Timothy (March 18, 2017). Disney's Live-Action The Lion King Starts Production in May. Screen Rant. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Beyoncé Top Choice to Voice Nala in ‘Lion King’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE). Variety (March 30, 2017). Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ Kits, Borys (August 2, 2017). 'Lion King' Cast: Chiwetel Ejiofor in Talks for Scar. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.