|The Lion King (2019 film)|
James Earl Jones
Shahadi Wright Joseph
- Donald Glover as Simba
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa
- Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
- Billy Eichner as Timon
- John Oliver as Zazu
- Alfre Woodard as Sarabi
- John Kani as Rafiki
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
- Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala
- Eric André as Azizi
- Florence Kasumba as Shenzi
- Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari
- JD McCrary as Young Simba
- Shahadi Wright Joseph as Young Nala
On September 28, 2016, the Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau announced they were developing a CGI remake of The Lion King on the fast-track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April 2016 and has earned $965.8 million worldwide. On October 13, 2016, Jeff Nathanson was hired to write the screenplay.
Production for the film began in May 2017.
In February 2017, Donald Glover was cast as Simba, with James Earl Jones reprising his role as Mufasa from the original film. In March 2017, it was announced that Beyoncé was Favreau's top choice for the role of Nala and that the director and studio would be willing to do whatever it took to accommodate her busy schedule.
In April 2017, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen were cast to play Timon and Pumbaa respectively. In July 2017, John Oliver was cast as Zazu. In August 2017, Chiwetel Ejiofor was announced to be in talks to voice Scar. That same month, Alfre Woodard, and John Kani were announced to play Sarabi and Rafiki respectively. On November 1, it was announced that Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Eric André, Florence Kasumba, Keegan-Michael Key, JD McCrary, and Shahadi Wright Joseph would be joining the cast as Nala, Scar, Azizi, Shenzi, Kamari, young Simba, and young Nala, respectively.
On November 28, 2017, it was reported that Elton John had signed on to the project to rework his music from the original film. The following day it was reported that Beyoncé Knowles-Carter would be working with Elton John on new music for the film.
On February 9, 2018, it was revealed that four of the five songs from the original - "Circle of Life", "I Just Can't Wait to be King", "Hakuna Matata", and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - will be included in the remake. Additionally, there will be a new "closing song" that Elton John will create with Beyoncé and Tim Rice.
- This movie will mark the first time in Disney history where Ernie Sabella does not reprise the role of Pumbaa.
- James Earl Jones is the only actor thus far to reprise his role from a Disney animated canon film in a Disney live-action remake.
- ↑ Disney Dates ‘Lion King’ and ‘Frozen 2,’ Pushes Fifth ‘Indiana Jones’ Film to 2020. Variety (April 25, 2017). Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Couch, Aaron (February 17, 2017). 'Lion King' Remake Casts Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasa. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Galuppo, Mia (April 25, 2017). Seth Rogen, Billy Eichner in Talks to Voice Timon and Pumbaa in New 'Lion King'. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Galuppo, Mia (July 10, 2017). John Oliver to Voice Zazu in Disney's 'Lion King' Remake. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on July 10, 2017.
- ↑ Galuppo, Mia (August 7, 2017). Alfre Woodard Joins Disney's 'The Lion King'. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Gettel, Oliver (August 7, 2017). The Lion King casts its Sarabi and Rafiki. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ Schmizt, Greg Dean (August 4, 2017). CHIWETEL EJIOFOR WILL VOICE SCAR IN LIVE-ACTION LION KING, AND MORE MOVIE NEWS. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved on August 15, 2017.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 Kroll, Justin (November 1, 2017). Beyonce Confirms Role as Nala in Disney’s Live-Action ‘The Lion King’. Variety. Retrieved on November 1, 2017.
- ↑ Lang, Brent (September 28, 2016). Jon Favreau to Direct ‘Lion King’ Live-Action Remake. Variety. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Han, Angie (October 13, 2016). Jon Favreau’s ‘Lion King’ Remake Picks Up ‘Catch Me If You Can’ Screenwriter Jeff Nathanson. Slashfilm. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Lammers, Timothy (March 18, 2017). Disney's Live-Action The Lion King Starts Production in May. Screen Rant. Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Beyoncé Top Choice to Voice Nala in ‘Lion King’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE). Variety (March 30, 2017). Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ Kits, Borys (August 2, 2017). 'Lion King' Cast: Chiwetel Ejiofor in Talks for Scar. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on August 7, 2017.
- ↑ Smith, Reiss (November 2, 2017). The Lion King: 2019 release date, cast including Beyoncé, plot synopsis and more. Express. Retrieved on January 5, 2018.
- ↑ Hood, Cooper (November 1, 2017). Hans Zimmer Set to Score Disney’s Live-Action The Lion King. Screen Rant. Retrieved on November 2, 2017.
- ↑ Desborough, James (November 28, 2017). Elton John will make millions with live-action remake of 'The Lion King'. New York Daily News. Retrieved on December 29, 2017.
- ↑ Moore, Sam (November 29, 2017). Beyoncé and Elton John are reportedly working on new versions of ‘The Lion King’ songs. NME. Retrieved on December 29, 2017.
- ↑ Wootton, Dan (February 9, 2018). Theatre legend Tim Rice joins Sir Elton John and Beyonce for Lion King remake soundtrack. The Sun. Retrieved on February 11, 2018.