- "Minkoff and Allers then mentioned how they'd joked about this during production, tossed around some off-color gags, and eventually decided that they just 'hoped nobody would notice.'"
- —The Lion King Tenth Anniversary Reunion Panel.
Nala's Father is a character who remains largely unknown.
Nala's father's appearance is unknown.
Nala's father's personality is unknown.
Contrary to belief, the directors of the film did contemplate who Nala's father might be. Albeit jokingly mentioned, he was seriously thought about as a character but had no place in the film. Ultimately, the two directors just hoped no one would notice his absence, effectively scrapping him as a character.
- In a The Lion King 1½ trivia game, Nala's father is mentioned as an option to one of the questions.
- In 2004, when asked about who Nala's father is, Minkoff and Allers "began laughing, ribbing each other, making little sidelong jibes." Eventually, Minkoff pointed at Allers, jokily calling him the father. They concluded their answer with Minkoff muttering into his sleeve that the general assumption was that Nala's father was "either Scar or...Mufasa."
- According to Tom Bancroft, one of the lead animators on the film, the issue of Nala's father was brought up very late and eventually ignored, as the filmmakers figured that no one would notice his absence.