|Meaning||Wealthy Guard, Wealthy Friend(Old English)|
|Affiliation||Scar (formerly),The Hyenas, Fisi|
|Voice Actors||Jim Cummings|
|Close Relations||Friend of Banzai, Shenzi, and Fisi|
- Banzai: "Man, that lousy Mufasa! I won't be able to sit for a week!"
Banzai: "It's not funny, Ed."
Ed: "*Bursts Out Laughing*"
Banzai: "Hey, shut up!"
- —Ed teasing Banzai about his fight with Mufasa
Ed is a smoky-gray hyena, with black ears, black eyebrows, black paws, dark gray spots, a pale gray stomach, a black tail, and crossed, yellow eyes. His ears have notches in them (most likely due to a previous fight) and he has a long tongue hanging out of his mouth that has four warts, a feature unique to him.
- Mufasa: "If you ever come near my son again...."
Shenzi: "Oh, this is....this is your son? Did you know that?"
Banzai: "Oh, your son. No....me? I-I-I didn't know it. No. Did you?"
Shenzi: "No! Of course not."
Banzai and Shenzi: "No....Ed?"
- —The hyenas trying to deny they recognize Simba
Ed has never been known to say anything, but uses laughter to communicate with his friends. He enjoys teasing them, and finds it hard to control his laughter. He's also known for being quite clueless, and getting his friends into trouble numerous times. He's a loyal follower, and never questions orders, either from Banzai or Shenzi.
According to the film producers, Ed is either completely crazy or is smarter than he lets on and merely pretends to be crazy.
A Tale of Two Brothers
- Taka: "No wonder you begged me to join your little gang."
Banzai: "Hey, who begged you?"
Shenzi: "He's right."
Taka: "*Slides Out Claws* What were you saying?"
Banzai: "It's a good thing we asked you to join us."
- —Banzai, Ed, Shenzi, and Taka
In "A Tale of Two Brothers", Ed corners a traveling baboon, Rafiki, at Five Stones, with the help of his two companions, Banzai and Shenzi. But before the hyena trio can kill the baboon, Ahadi, the king of the Pride Lands, stops them and tells them not to hunt for sport. After a bit of protesting, Banzai and Shenzi submit to him, and Ed giggles, covering his face with his paws.
Later, the hyena trio meets up with Taka. They try to be dramatic and scare him, but Taka isn't impressed, and tells them to stop with all the drama. When things get down to business, Taka warns the hyenas that Ahadi was looking for them, since they had been causing a lot of trouble lately. Banzai suggests moving to the mountains, but Shenzi and Taka yank at his whiskers, and Ed snickers when he lets out a yelp of pain. Taka then says, "No wonder you begged me to join your little gang." Banzai and Shenzi protest, and Ed nods his head in agreement. But Taka lets out his claws, and the hyenas reluctantly submit to him. Later, when Banzai and Shenzi asks why Taka wasn't hunting with Ahadi, the young lion gets angry at them, and corners them up against a tree. While Banzai and Shenzi try to make up excuses, Ed just giggles.
But they manage to smooth Taka's fur by giving him a plan to make Mufasa look bad. When Taka begins to ponder the idea, Ed joggles his head in agreement. When Taka leaves, he promises to bring them food later, then disappears into the Savannah.
The Lion King
- Scar: "Ah, my friends."
Shenzi: "Friends? I thought he said we were the enemy."
Banzai: "Yeah.That's what I heard. Ed?"
Ed: "*Sinister Laughter*"
- —The hyenas turning on Scar
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
The hyenas don't appear in the film, but Nuka mentions them when he says, "the hyenas ran off" when gathering fire with Vitani at the Elephant Graveyard, implying that some, if not all, hyenas survived probably including Ed along with Shenzi and Banzai.
The Lion King 1½
- Timon: "Hey, Pumbaa! What do you call a hyena with half a brain?"
Pumbaa: "Ah, ha, ha. Uh, beats me, Timon. What?"
Banzai: "*Slaps* They're talkin' about us!"
- —Timon and Pumbaa jeering at the hyenas
While Timon is singing "That's All I Need", the hyena trio can be seen watching him from behind a rock. After Timon finishes the song, Shenzi pushes him aside and starts to infiltrate the meerkat colony with her two companions. The hyenas fail to devour the meerkats, as they escape into their burrows, but Ed blocks a tunnel for Uncle Max to escape down, which leads to Max being nearly devoured by the hyenas.
Ed is later seen at the top of Pride Rock, going after Simba. But the hyenas are insulted by a joke made by Timon and Pumbaa, which Ed laughs at and is slapped by Banzai. Ed and the other hyenas go after Timon and Pumbaa and corner them at the edge of Pride Rock. Timon and Pumbaa try several tactics to entertain them while Uncle Max and Ma dig a tunnel under the hyenas. When the trap tunnel initially fails, Ed along with the other hyenas move in closer to eat Pumbaa, Ma, and Uncle Max. But Timon goes in and finishes the tunnel. The hyenas fall into the tunnel after Timon bravely finishes it, and they plummet to the bottom of Pride Rock to meet Scar after he is thrown off a cliff by Simba.
The Lion King (musical)
Ed's role is mostly the same in The Lion King stage musical. As in the movie, he doesn't talk and communicates only through laughter. He is given two new songs to sing: "Chow Down", which is sung when Simba and Nala enter the Elephant Graveyard, and "The Madness of King Scar", when Shenzi and Banzai complain to Scar over a shortage of food and water.
The hyena trio is first seen at Pride Rock. They are about to attack Sora, Donald, and Goofy, but Scar roars and the hyena trio looks up to see him with Pete. When Nala knocks down Scar, she tells Sora, Donald, and Goofy to run. The three heroes run with Banzai, Ed, Shenzi, and the other hyenas in pursuit. Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Nala manage to get away from the hyenas.
The hyena trio is later seen at Pride Rock, preventing Simba from getting to Scar. Sora tells Simba to go after Scar while his friends handle the hyenas. Timon and Pumbaa knock the hyenas into the air, but are chased into Pride Rock by the hyenas. Sora, Donald, and Goofy battle the hyena trio inside Pride Rock. The trio is easily defeated and run away out of Pride Rock.
Later on in the game, the trio of hyenas are fought again for information on the source of Scar's ghost. They know nothing of the ghost, and taunt Simba about it. They also seem to have somewhat of a grudge against Sora, Donald, and Goofy, as it was thanks to their part in overthrowing Scar that they were sent back to the Elephant Graveyard to only eat scraps.
- The Lion King - (1994) - (film) - Jim Cummings
- The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa - (1995–1998) - (TV series) - Jim Cummings
- The Lion King (musical) - (1997) - (musical) - Kevin Cahoon (original actor)
- The Lion King 1½ - (2004) - (film) - Jim Cummings
- Kingdom Hearts II - (2005) - (video game) - Jim Cummings
- Ed has multiple speaking lines in the TLK comic "Greedy Is As Greedy Does", where he, along with Shenzi and Banzai, attempt to eat baby hornbills.
- Ed and Timon are the only Lion King characters to not have an African name.
- Ed is "not all there" or mentally challenged as he is described in the book The Lion King: A Great Leap.
- In some of The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa episodes, Ed's ears appear without holes in them.
- Ed is the only hyena to have the same voice actor in Timon and Pumbaa and House of Mouse that he had in the film and its prequels. Banzai and Shenzi were replaced by Tress MacNeille and Rob Paulsen in the shows, however, when they appear again in The Lion King 1½, they have their original voice actors.
- Ed was created by Thom Enriquez.