|Be Prepared (film)|
- For the reprise, see here.
- I know that your powers of retention
- Are as wet as a warthog's backside,
- But thick as you are, pay attention!
- My words are a matter of pride.
- It's clear from your vacant expressions
- The lights are not all on upstairs,
- But we're talking kings and successions.
- Even you can't be caught unawares!
- So prepare for a chance of a lifetime.
- Be prepared for sensational news.
- A shining new era
- Is tiptoeing nearer.
- And where do we feature?
- Just listen to teacher.
- I know it sounds sordid,
- But you'll be rewarded
- When at last I am given my dues
- And injustice deliciously squared.
- Be prepared!
- Yeah! Be prepared!
- Yeah-heh! We'll be prepared! Heh! For what?
- For the death of the king!
- Why? Is he sick?
- No, fool. We're gonna kill him.
- And Simba, too...
- Great idea!
- Who needs a king?
Banzai and Shenzi:
- No king! No king! La, la, la, la, la, la!
- There will be a king!
- Hey, but you said-
- I will be king!
- Stick with me, and you'll never go hungry again!
Banzai and Shenzi: (spoken)
- Yay! All right! All right!
- Long live the king!
- It's great that we'll soon be connected
- With a king who'll be all-time adored.
- Of course, quid pro quo, you're expected
- To take certain duties on board.
- The future is littered with prizes,
- And though I'm the main addressee,
- The point that I must emphasize is
- You won't get a sniff without me!
- So prepare for the coup of the century.
- Be prepared for the murkiest scam.
- (Ooh. La! La! La!)
- Meticulous planning,
- (We'll have food!)
- Tenacity spanning,
- (Lots of food!)
- Decades of denial
- (We repeat!)
- Is simply why I'll
- (Endless meat!)
- Be king undisputed,
- Respected, saluted,
- And seen for the wonder I am!
- Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared.
- Be prepared!
- Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared.
- Be prepared!
- I never thought hyenas essential.
- They're crude and unspeakably plain.
- But maybe they've a glimmer of potential,
- If allied to my vision and brain.
- Jeremy Irons sang the beginning of the song, but damaged his vocal chords on the line, "You won't get a sniff without me!" Jim Cummings was brought in to finish the song.
- The song includes a brief sequence that alludes to Adolf Hitler and the Nazis. As the hyena army marches past Scar, they are goose-stepping like Nazi soldiers with their snouts raised in Nazi-like salutes. Scar is atop a large ledge (or balcony, in Hitler's case) with a pattern resembling Swastika on the side of his rock. On the ground beneath the army, lines appear, resembling the streets of Germany, where the Nazis paraded.
- In earlier concepts, Scar had a song called "Thanks to Me" where he gloated to the hyenas about murdering Mufasa and chasing off Simba. This song later became "Be Prepared."
- In the 1992 version of the film, there was originally supposed to be a reprise of the song which takes place after Scar has assumed power over the Pride Lands and is trying to assert his dominance over the lion population. He is given the idea by Zazu to find a mate, as that will give him cubs, and in his own words, "eternity". He starts to flirt with Nala, who refuses his advances and is therefore banished by Scar. He then unleashes the hyenas upon the Pride Lands as their "executive rulers". The reprise was ultimately removed from the film. However, a similarly themed song entitled The Madness of King Scar was included in the Broadway musical version of the film.
|Songs from The Lion King|